History of the Church - Part 2
The great revival 'ower the water' about this time greatly helped the latest addition to the local churches. Many people left other bodies and joined the Baptists. Such was the increase that the congregation had to remove to the town hall, where they worshipped for many years. Among the outstanding leaders who helped to found the Baptist church here was Mr George Bruce, Moray House who at the age of 96 was still a regular worshipper.
The congregation had now reached a stage that demanded the services of a regular minister, and in 1872, Rev James Stewart was appointed to the charge. With a minister of their own, the congregation now moved for a church and in 1877 the church in Victoria Street was opened for service. The building which is seated for 300 persons, cost £1800. It was a most comfortable up-to-date church, with a baptistry immediately in front of the pulpit. Mr Stewart was an earnest, evangelical minister who discharged his duties with zeal. Mr Stewart retired in 1879.
Rev A. Monro followed Mr Stewart, but after two years successful ministry he, on account of ill-health, had to seek a milder climate. The church was vacant for a year, and then the Rev Walter Richards was ordained to the charge. This was in 1883. Mr Richards who was educated in Spurgeons Pastors' College, London was an energetic and devout minister with decided evangelical leaning. For the greater part of Mr Richards pastorate the congregation made marked headway, and much was the regret of the congregation when in 1895 he accepted a call to the Rattray Street Church, Dundee. Mr Richards had occupied the pulpit in Victoria Street for the lengthened period of 12 years.<< part 1 part 3 >>